proof methods

Buday Gergely buday.gergely.istvan at szie.hu
Wed Nov 11 02:19:13 EST 2020

11/10/2020 5:28 PM keltezéssel, Timothy Y. Chow írta:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 2020, Buday Gergely wrote:
>> In science, narrowing a topic is a useful method and can lead to a
>> tractable problem.
>>
>> How about this one: proof methods in university mathematics
>> textbooks? So, what is in the standard toolbox of a mathematician who
>> has an undergraduate degree in pure or applied mathematics.
>>
>> Is this still too broad?
>
> I feel that I'm still not sure what you're really asking for.
>
> Are you asking for strategies for coming up with a proof in the first
> place?  Or are you focusing on the final writeup of the proof and
> trying to categorize the different kinds of templates that exist?
>
> Are you looking for high-level descriptions that are largely
> independent of subject matter ("to distinguish two objects, find an
> invariant that differs in the two cases") or do you also want to
> include techniques that use specific theorems ("bound your sequence
> and apply the dominated convergence theorem")?
>
> Is your goal to teach students how to come up with proofs and/or write
> them up properly?  Or to teach a computer how to come up with proofs?
> Or to draw philosophical conclusions about mathematical proof?
>
> If your answer is, "All of the above," then I think your question is
> still too broad.
>
> Tim

My answer is: to have a taxonomy of general proof methods, so that I can
investigate them, how much they are amenable to formalization in a
theorem prover.

Direct, indirect proof, in general natural deduction: programmable in a
functional language in a few thousand lines, originally a research
project, now a triviality

Induction, coinduction: extensive research

Symmetry: the theory of nominal sets and its implementation in Nominal
Isabelle: multi-year multi-person research project.

All these are done. I would like to read about more proof methods,
whether there are ones that nobody formalized.

Is this specific enough?

- Gergely