The Universe (matthias) (Timothy Y. Chow)

Øystein Linnebo linnebo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 04:42:51 EDT 2020

Yes, the strict potentialist regards all statements of first-order
arithmetic as meaningful. And yes, on the analysis Shapiro and I provide,
the strict potentialist can prove every theorem of Heyting arithmetic. For
details, see Theorem 3 and footnote 31.

As for second-order arithmetic, I claimed that the potentialist (whether
liberal or strict) is not "entitled" to full second-order arithmetic --
even if he accepts the combinatorial conception of classes (as completely
arbitrary collections of antecedently available objects). This isn't
because some second-order statements are deemed meaningless. Rather, it is
because all the classes will be finite. After all, at any stage, there are
only finitely many natural numbers available to serve as members of a
class, understood combinatorially.

Oystein