[FOM] Improving Set Theory

martdowd at aol.com martdowd at aol.com
Fri Jan 10 14:15:45 EST 2020

 FOM:

being repetitive, I have a series of papers on adding "conservative" new
axioms.  The first is "Some new axioms for set theory"
 http://www.ijpam.eu/contents/2011-68-4/4/4.pdf
The most recent is "Reflective well-founded relations"
 http://www.ijpam.eu/contents/2016-107-4/6/6.pdf

The "conservative" new axiom approach proceeds from the observation that
the existence of an inaccessible cardinal is a "semantic" version of
the consistency of ZFC.  $V$ can be "collected" in to a set, namely,
$V_\kappa$ where $\kappa$ is the smallest inaccessible cardinal.
The first paper argues that this process can be continued to a Mahlo
cardinal.  The second argues that the existence of cardinals satisfying
the "axiom of extensibility" Ax_{Ext} is strongly justified.

These cardinals are stationary below a weakly compact cardinal.  In my
opinion whether the existence of a weakly compact cardinal can be
justified "from below" by conservatively extending the universe is an
important one.  I have been working on other subjects, and have left the
situation as of the second paper.

- Martin Dowd