[FOM] Improving Set Theory

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Fri Jan 10 12:20:25 EST 2020

I've argued here <https://www.jstor.org/stable/43820940> for a
generalization of ZFCU that permits an absolutely infinite *set* of
urelements, motivated chiefly (a) by philosophical views (notably, those of
David Lewis and Tim Williamson) that seem to require an absolute infinity
of urelements (Harvey has provided mathematical reasons for postulating an
absolute infinity of urelements here
<https://cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2004-January/007845.html>) and (b) simply
by the iterative conception of set — urelements are all of rank 0, so the
usual arguments against "class-sized" sets don't apply; the set of
urelements is of rank 1 so by the iterative conception it seems it ought to
exist. It's not clear whether this generalization has any significant
consequences for the foundations of mathematics (though Guillermo Badia and
I are exploring some interesting consequences of the 2nd-order version of
the theory) but it arguably yields a philosophically more inclusive theory
of sets.

-chris
--
Christopher Menzel