[FOM] Artin-Schreier for Q, without choice?

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Sun Jan 5 07:42:24 EST 2020

It’s straightforward to show without choice that there is a computable ordered field where every odd degree polynomial has a root and nonnegative numbers have square roots. I think the failure of choice corresponding to Lauchli’s result would not be that there is no real closed field that satisfies all the definitions, but that a field which satisfied the same first order properties as the reals in the language of fields could not necessarily be ordered compatibly with the field operations (have to make infinitely many choices of which square root of each prime shall be the “positive” one).

— JS

Sent from my iPhone