How small can a foundation be?

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Sun Feb 16 08:47:15 EST 2020

My observation is practically a truism, as long as their acceptable methods of proof are algorithmically formalizable then “their methods prove X” can be rendered as a statement in set theory (or even arithmetic).

I actually hold to a stronger version than I (conservatively) stated, which is that there is generally going to be a way to do this by representing the objects their proposition discusses by some standard set-theoretic equivalents, and translating the proof methods into antecedents, so that a follower of Grothendieck would agree that if his proposition is provable then ZFC proves the Grothendieck Universes axiom implies the translation of his proposition into set theory.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone