the notion of generic in set theory

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Sat Feb 15 19:12:13 EST 2020

A generic object is one with no specific properties whatsoever. Anything definable cannot be generic. Cohen constructed a model where CH was false by taking a minimal model where it was true, and then adding enough ”generic sets“ of integers to falsify CH in a carefully organized way to avoid accidentally causing any statements he needed to be true to become false.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone