Is forcing force on us

Noah Schweber schweber at berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 26 18:23:41 EDT 2020

>How much do we have to weaken the axioms so that $M[G]$ is no
longer the smallest c.t.m. of the weakened axioms to contain both $M$ and
$G$?

Well, we need to weaken our theory to the point that we cannot build
$\nu[G]$ from a name $\nu\in M$ and the generic $G$ - basically, we need to
get rid of replacement almost entirely. If I understand correctly this
means that even PROVI (see
https://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~ardm/provident_forcing_website.pdf) is too
strong. On the other hand, Zermelo set theory is sufficiently weak (see
section 1 of Mathias' paper "Set forcing over models of Zermelo or Mac
Lane") to have such pathological models/forcings.

 - Noah