Is forcing force on us

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Wed Aug 26 00:46:13 EDT 2020

I thought of a related question that might be relevant.

It is a standard theorem that if M is a c.t.m. of ZFC, then M[G] is the
smallest c.t.m. of ZFC containing both M and G (meaning that if N is a
c.t.m. containing both M and G then N contains M[G]).  But if I understand
the proof correctly, M[G] is also the smallest c.t.m. of ZF containing
both M and G, and (I think) the smallest c.t.m. of ZF minus P containing
both M and G.  How much do we have to weaken the axioms so that M[G] is no
longer the smallest c.t.m. of the weakened axioms to contain both M and G?

Tim