Repeating myself on RVM

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Mon Aug 3 21:46:22 EDT 2020

I strongly disagree with your (1) because you called the meaningfulness of P(N) “the” foundational debate about CH. It may be “a” foundational debate about CH, but you are taking an awful lot for granted about the views of an awfully large number of mathematicians.

I also disagree with your (3), both because it’s not clear how you can be confident of this, and because it’s not clear why axioms have to be “obvious” initially, rather than becoming that way over time as they are explored (AC is much more “obvious” now than it used to be 100 years ago, and the axiom of (a completed) infinity is much more obvious than it used to be 200 years ago, and the axiom of Replacement was certainly not obvious enough for Zermelo to think of it, etc.).

To answer your (4): I am trying to come up with axioms FOR MATHEMATICS, not for set theory. Although Set Theory has been extremely successful in providing a foundation for mathematics, it so happens that certain more mathematical and less set-theoretic axioms (such as the extensibility of Lebesgue measure, or the determinacy of projective sets) have important CONSEQUENCES in set theory, and therefore one may start with the mathematical version of the axiom rather than a set-theoretic consequence. I could have said “a real-valued measurable cardinal exists”, or even “a measurable cardinal exists”, if I cared more about arithmetic or about abstract set theory rather than about measure theory, but I think the version I used is the most “plausible” and in the past might have even been considered “obvious”.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone