[FOM] 31st Novembertagung 2020

Louis H Kauffman kauffman at uic.edu
Mon Apr 27 18:37:26 EDT 2020

Dear Deborah,
You write
       (1)[Mathematical activity] Mathematicians derive theorems from established axioms.

       (2)[Mathematics] Mathematics is the collection of theorems derived from established axioms.

I think that working mathematicians would find this strange in that what happens in practice is that axiom systems evolve or are discovered, and then become guides for further work.

       Perhaps you could write "Mathematics is the collection of theorems derived from established axioms and the activity of creating and discovering new definitions and new systems of axioms.”.  I realize that I am opening my self to the criticism that I am confusing definitions with axioms. But in fact that is my point. Any axiom system, any formal system is a form of definition for a mathematical or logical domain.

For example, Eilenberg and Steenrod discovered axioms of homology and cohomology  theory and then these axioms were shifted to the known axioms for generalized homology and cohomology theories. These generalized axioms become the guides for understanding many new theories such as K-Theory and cobordism theories. So axioms evolve and we do not just deduce from axioms; we also look for models for those axioms. Thus, speaking pedagogically, we have the axioms for a group and we can deduce many properties of groups just from these axioms. But if you ever had a course in group theory where you were first introduced to groups only via the axioms and never shown any examples (models) of groups, then you would surely understand what kind of strange torture this could be to a beginner. Some of the early attempts to do non-Euclidean geometry were like that — investigations of a negation of the parallel postulate. But it was the emergence of models of non-Euclidean geometry that really clinched the matter. Similarly in present day learning, all students know the coordinate method for doing geometry, which is Euclidean if one uses the standard inner product. Then one does not need to have the Euclid axioms because they are Theorems in this model. This is not often pointed out to students, and it should be pointed out. But what are the axioms then? They are the axioms for real numbers. But still, we keep studying and as students perhaps we learned a construction for real numbers. Then the axioms for real numbers became theorems about the construction. And now what are the axioms? One keeps going back and in the usual ways we were taught, it all goes back to the axioms for set theory. But my point is that it is these intermediate axiom systems that are related to new definitions (such as generalized cohomology theories) that are the bread and butter of working mathematicians.

And for the physicists, assumptions that certain situations involving summations should have integrals as generalized summations are natural “working axioms”. The fact that mathematicians have not yet been able to ground these assumptions in set theory or category theory does not mean it will not eventually be done. (Consider the case of infinitesimal calculus!) Working mathematical physicists have procedural activity with functional integrals and know how to check whether they are on track or off track even though they are strictly speaking outside of the usual foundations. In fact they themselves would admit that it is not fully satisfactory. These are situations where new axioms systems may evolve.
Best,
Lou Kauffman