[FOM] 31st Novembertagung 2020

D. Kant d.kant at web.de
Mon Apr 27 00:56:59 EDT 2020

Since the discussion started with our CfA, we will clarify what we talk
about. The most important point is that our claim refers to harm done to
the philosophy of mathematics and *not* to mathematics.

Original claim: “some philosophers also argue that the axiomatic view on
mathematics may be harmful in that it omits fundamental aspects of
mathematical practice and idealizes mathematical reasoning in an
unfaithful way.”

First on the notion: the axiomatic view on mathematics can be understood
in at least the following two ways:

     (1)[Mathematical activity] Mathematicians derive theorems from
established axioms.

     (2)[Mathematics] Mathematics is the collection of theorems derived
from established axioms.

One philosophical debate based on this view concerns the notion of
mathematical proof: how do mathematical proofs relate to formal
derivations in a first order system? It seems problematic to defend that
proofs are formal derivations since there are many important differences
between a proof as it is printed in a journal and a formal derivation.

Rittberg notes by referring to Buldt, Löwe and Müller: “by considering
idealised proofs we idealise away the problem, replacing it with a new
and different problem about these idealisations. These philosophers
[Buldt, Löwe and Müller] argue that the old understanding of proof
should be replaced with their more practice-oriented understanding. This
is an argument for a change in the philosophical tools we are using and
thus the authors call for a change in how epistemology is done. … I hold
that the[se] kinds of idealisations … can be harmful to our
philosophical understanding of mathematics.” (Rittberg 2015, p. 15-16)

A critical stance towards the axiomatic view is often taken by
philosophers of mathematics who care about mathematical practice. Rota
and Hersh, which were mentioned in the beginning of the discussion, are
indeed philosophers of this kind of philosophy.

However, the question of Joe Shipman concerned possible harm of the
axiomatic view to mathematics. This is another question and we do not
intend to extend the claim in this way. Though, it could be interesting
to know whether mathematicians would agree with (1) or (2) when they
characterise their own activity or discipline. And it is also
interesting to see to what extent the axiomatic method is useful for
mathematics.

Anyway, it is interesting to follow the discussion.

Best,

Deborah