[FOM] 827: Tangible Incompleteness Restarted/1

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Sep 29 07:28:28 EDT 2019

A small anecdote from my time at Caltech, when I attended a course on Combinatorial Mathematics taught by Herbert Ryser. As I recall, he stated that the main outlet in his field was the Journal of Combinatorial Theory. But at some point the editors came to feel that “real” combinatorics (Latin squares, block designs, etc.) was being pushed out by graph theory, so they divided the journal into Series A and Series B. Any paper with even a hint of graph theory would be banished to Series B. I can’t confirm that he used that exact language, but that’s the impression I came away with.

Larry Paulson