[FOM] 827: Tangible Incompleteness Restarted/1

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Wed Sep 25 18:12:16 EDT 2019

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019, Joe Shipman wrote:
> No, I meant specifically "computation theory" as practiced by computer
> scientists in computer science departments, which involves both much
> mathematics of graph-theoretic and combinatorial types, and much
> attention to concrete measures like running time, memory space,
> communication bandwidth, and program size.

Thanks for the clarification.

But I think that the thought process is something like this: They regard
"computation theory" as "not math."  They might say, chemistry is a fine
and respectable subject, and if quantum chemists find spectral graph
theory useful, then more power to them; but that doesn't mean that
spectral graph theory is math.

Tim