[FOM] deautomatization in mathematics

Josef Urban josef.urban at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 05:06:51 EDT 2019

The proof of Robbins conjecture found by EQP has been de-automated,
human-explained, and human-formalized in PAs (e.g. Mizar).

Unfortunately, we don't have today good tools to automatically translate
very long proofs (10k-100k steps) found by e.g. Prover9 in quasigroup
theory into "structural", "human-understandable" proofs (typically
requiring at least HOL, set theory, etc.).

I'd also say that "automation" is moving to more expressive logics these
days. E.g. in our recent GRUNGE benchmark (https://arxiv.org/abs/1903.02539),
an ATP system (Leo-III) targeting the HOL logic directly has beaten the
systems that work only after translation to FOL. The same for systems that
do tactical search directly in the more expressive settings - e.g.
TacticToe (https://arxiv.org/abs/1804.00596).

Josef