[FOM] 827: Tangible Incompleteness Restarted/1

José Manuel Rodríguez Caballero josephcmac at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 14:50:11 EDT 2019

Louis H Kauffman wrote:

 It should be pointed out in this discussion that a category is a digraph
> with extra (compositional) structure.
> Category theorists would not care to be categorized as studying a
> subcategory of graph theory.

Indeed, the algebraic geometer Markus Reineke [1] said it explicitly in the
case of quivers (a quiver can be understood to be the underlying structure
of a category but without composition or a designation of identity
morphisms, see the introduction in [2]):

A quiver Q is just an oriented graph. So, you may ask why do we rename
> oriented graphs. Well that was just Gabriel's choice because he likes to
> rename things

Kind regards,
José M.