[FOM] Provable security and foundations of mathematics

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Thu Jun 13 00:26:44 EDT 2019

Except for the common complaints about poor quality of refereeing and proof checking, there were no substantive foundational issues in the Koblitz exchange, which was interesting nonetheless.

But there certainly is important foundational relevance in the question of whether the foundations of mathematics suffice to provide “provable security” for cryptographic systems.  In particular, this depends strongly on the status of P vs NP and related foundational questions. If P=NP, then provable security seems much harder to attain.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone