[FOM] Learnability

Patrik Eklund peklund at cs.umu.se
Fri Jan 18 00:27:33 EST 2019

The authors are manipulative already at start. They say "Approximate a
target concept given a bounded amount of data about it." This is wrong.
It's not "bounded", it's finite. It can be very big (Big Data), but it
is nevertheless finite.

Then they bridge that to PAC (probably approximately correct), and then
we are in probability with the reals. Now we are departing from the
essence of learning.

Note also things like "access to a training sample of visitors drawn
from an (unknown) distribution P". In learning we do not not "draw". As
they say at the beginning, "given ... amount of data".

Learning is approximating to given and finite data.

The authors don't give up. As if they by that point feel they are on
thin ice, they start to speak about "posted ads are to be chosen from a
given pool of ads". Now they enter the realm of social media marketing,
with Facebook, Google, etc. Just take Facebook as an example. There are
Adsets and Ads. Ads in Adsets. And a Campaign is a set of Adsets. But
again, it's finite. It's very finite. We could play around with the
creative (the content of the add) and start to include real numbers for
assigning distance between one cup of coffee to another in an add, or in
videoclips saying that time is continuous (but in a moving picture it
isn't).

---

This paper is Artificial Artificial Intelligence, where their "The ad
problem above becomes an instance of the following EMX problem" is giant
leap from AI to their AAI. It may seem as a small step in their paper,
but it's an all too giant leap for practical learning. After that, the
paper has nothing to do with AI and learning.

---

What I would like to see is a totally new approach to brain, cognition
and AI. Why not look at reception in cells, pathways, transcription,
RNA/DNA and all that. Hormones come into play. They are transported by
the nerves and through the blood, into the cells. Intestines are
permeable. The large intestines and the bladder "communicate", as do the
kidney and the heart e.g. in the cardiorenal syndrome, and so on and so
forth. Water retention in the body. The role of sodium , potassium and
many other things like calsium channels. Why don't we analyze these
things? We could analyze stress otherwise than using arithmetics?
Doctors are totally unable because they are stuck with populations and
comparing mean values. That's baby mathematics.

The brain is finite, but the brain of the gut may be infinite. The brain
of the gut may be undecidable?! It certainly cannot be modelled by baby
mathematics.

Best,

Patrik