[FOM] Learnability

Dennis Müller dennis at logicalphalluses.net
Thu Jan 17 04:36:01 EST 2019

The following twitter thread by John Carlos Baez summarizes the issue in
a rather concise manner:
https://twitter.com/johncarlosbaez/status/1083047483368890368

Basically: The question of whether a ML agent can generalize a
classification scheme with a certain accuracy from a finite set of
training data is reducible to finding a finite subset of [0,1] with a
sufficiently large P-measure, where the measure P itself is unknown
except for N iid samples. The latter is apparently possible iff there's
at most finitely many uncountable cardinals < 2^aleph0.