[FOM] Fact and opinion in F.O.M.

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Tue Dec 24 21:18:53 EST 2019

I think you are taking overly seriously the social convention to state one’s results in the form of propositions deducible in ZFC. There are plenty of self-proclaimed Platonists out there among set theorists, who have strong beliefs in the definiteness and truth value of non-absolute propositions such as CH, and they don’t all agree with each other. My point is not that they have different concepts of what “proof” means, but that they have different axioms they believe to be true, and it seems likely they will have no way to ultimately persuade each other.

This is based on empirical observation of their professional behavior. Quite simply:

(1) all the arithmetical consequences of all the axioms that have ever been proposed appear to be compatible with each other.
(2) this is completely untrue for statements of higher type.

I see no reason why different “schools” of set-theoretical thought could not arise with different and incompatible axioms. One could argue that they already have arisen, but for reasons of professional courtesy do not publish results following from their axioms without noting the dependence on statements independent of ZFC.

In fact, one could go further and argue that some of the researchers who reject AC are already examples of “permanent disagreement” because it seems impossible to conceive of an argument that would dissuade them from their (provably consistent) systematizations.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone