[FOM] Fact and opinion in F.O.M.

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Tue Dec 24 14:27:57 EST 2019

On Tue, 24 Dec 2019, Joe Shipman wrote:
> I am making a strong claim here, which I have made here before and which
> no one took up my challenge to rebut: that although there may be
> permanent disagreement about whether some statement S of arithmetic has
> been proven or not, there will never be permanent disagreement of the
> type “mathematical school X believes that S has been proven and
> mathematical school Y believes that S has been disproven”.

I won't claim that my response to you---

https://cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2019-September/021652.html

---was a "rebuttal", but I did point out that your "permanent
disagreement" statement above is very weak.  In particular, I believe that
it holds with S = CH.  With S = CH, I think that the most likely situation
is that neither X nor Y will come to exist, but I don't believe that
*both* X and Y will come to exist.  That would require mathematicians to
come around to a totally different concept of what "proven" (with no
further qualification) means, and relinquish their cherished notions about
the objectivity of mathematics.  I don't see that happening in the
foreseeable future.

Returning to your question:

> But can you refine this? Is there a statement of mathematics, not
> provably equivalent to an arithmetical statement, which is still a
> matter of fact?

Whether there is such a statement appears to me to be a matter of opinion.

In particular, set-theoretic platonists regard CH as a matter of fact.
Now maybe you will object that the sense in which they regard CH to be a
matter of fact differs from the sense in which you intend the phrase
"matter of fact," but I maintain that you haven't clarified your sense of
the term.  As I argued above, your "permanent disagreement" criterion, as
stated, fails to exclude CH.

Tim