[FOM] Consistency of PA, again

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at princeton.edu
Tue Jun 5 16:38:32 EDT 2018

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018, WILLIAM TAIT wrote:
> Assertion A makes no sense. It says that there is a TM that generates an
> infinite descending sequence from \epsilon_0. Also kit makes no
> reference to deduction in PA. I expect you meant something else.

I am not sure what you mean by "Assertion A makes no sense."  Do you just
mean that it is false?  I agree with that.  "PA is inconsistent" is also
false.  My question is whether Assertion A is disprovable in PRA.  Unless
you mean something stronger by "Assertion A makes no sense" (e.g., that
Assertion A is not expressible) then I do think that I meant what I said.

If Assertion A is "merely" false, but is not disprovable in PRA, then my
followup question is whether Assertion A is disprovable in PRA + "PA is
inconsistent."

Tim