[FOM] Consistency of PA, again

WILLIAM TAIT williamtait at mac.com
Tue Jun 5 15:22:09 EDT 2018

Tim,

Assertion A makes no sense. It says that there is a TM that generates an infinite descending sequence from  \epsilon_0. Also kit makes no reference to deduction in PA. I expect you meant something else.

One remark about this and your earlier posts. The TM does not generate a simple sequence of sequents together with ordinals, but rather, at the i-th step  it yields the i-th approximation of a tree. At each node of the tree is a sequent together with an ordinal, such that the ordinals descend along each branch. The tree that is generates has unary, binary and \omega branchings—corresponding to acting on A v B, \exists x A(x) for one branching, A&B for two and \forall x A(x) for \omega branching.  What in fact the TM generates is a cut-free deduction of the initial sequent.

As you suggested, the TM can be thought of as playing a winning strategy in a two-person game—the winning strategy being the cut-free deduction.

Bill