[FOM] certain two papers

Patrik Eklund peklund at cs.umu.se
Fri Nov 24 00:17:51 EST 2017

Just quickly checked your paper, Lukasz, and I should read more, but
here just a brief observation.

---

You are propositional, so whereas those related logical operators appear
both as logical and with their 'meta-logical' counterpart, for the
quantifiers you only have them in the 'meta-logics'.

Whatever the consequences of that, this in itself reveals the problems
with numbering. You (potentially) number your logical connectives, but
not the 'meta-logical' ones. Gödel numbers whatever symbol comes his
way, and then proceeds like logics and meta-logics is one and the same
thing, in the same bag, as I often say.

---

I still haven't had any FOMer react to my objection to having two
different negations, namely, one for ~p(x) and one for ~Ex.p(x). The
first one is typed and is an operator in the underlying signature along
with p also as an operator. The second one is not the one in the
signature, simply because Ex.p(x) is not a term. p(x) is a term and has
a type, and can be used in substitution, but Ex.p(x) is not a term, does
not have a type, and cannot be used in substitution. Nevertheless, ~ is
taken to be one and the same (syntactic) symbol. E is not a "formal
symbol". It's an "informal symbol". Similary, as Church said back in
1940, lambda is not a "formal symbol". It's an "informal symbol".

So Gödel numbers over formal and informal symbols like painting all over
the wall including the window frames, even the windows!, with one and
the same brush and colour. What a house! And the interior is
inconsistent anyway.

Cheers,

Patrik