[FOM] PhD positions available in Birmingham, UK

Benedikt Ahrens benedikt.ahrens at gmx.net
Sun Nov 19 15:20:38 EST 2017

Dear all,

We invite applications for PhD study at the University of Birmingham.

We are a group of theoretical computer scientists and mathematicians
who explore fundamental concepts in computation and programming language
semantics. Among our research interests are
category theory,
lambda-calculus and computational effects,
topology,
constructive mathematics,
game semantics, and
program compilation.

Our group currently has 11 permanent staff and 11 PhD students. We have
a weekly seminar, as well as more informal meetings and reading groups.
Information on all of this can be found on our webpage:
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/groupings/theory/

Information about PhD applications may be found here:
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate-research/

If you are considering applying, please contact any of us. We will be
very happy to discuss the opportunities available.

Best regards,
The Birmingham CS theory group

--

Benedikt Ahrens <b.ahrens at cs.bham.ac.uk>
semantics of type theory, computer theorem proving, categorical

Martín Escardó <m.escardo at cs.bham.ac.uk>
topology, computation with infinite objects, constructive mathematics,
intuitionistic type theory

Dan Ghica <d.r.ghica at cs.bham.ac.uk>
game semantics, heterogeneous computing, model checking

Achim Jung <a.jung at cs.bham.ac.uk>
mathematical structures in the foundations of computing:
logic, topology, order

Paul Blain Levy <p.b.levy at cs.bham.ac.uk>
denotational semantics, computational effects and call-by-push-value,
nondeterminism, category theory, coalgebra, game semantics

Dave Parker <d.a.parker at cs.bham.ac.uk>
formal verification, probabilistic model checking

Uday Reddy  <u.s.reddy at cs.bham.ac.uk>
semantics of state, separation logic

Eike Ritter <e.ritter at cs.bham.ac.uk>
security protocol verification

Hayo Thielecke <h.thielecke at cs.bham.ac.uk>
abstract machines, concurrent and functional programming, software security

Steve Vickers <s.j.vickers at cs.bham.ac.uk>
constructive mathematics and topology, category theory and toposes

Noam Zeilberger <n.zeilberger at cs.bham.ac.uk>
categorical semantics of type systems and λ-calculus, substructural
logic and proof theory, interactions with combinatorics