[FOM] informal poll special terms in logic

Harvey Friedman hmflogic at gmail.com
Mon May 8 00:24:44 EDT 2017

>From http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2017-May/020477.html

> Reply with a vote to jbaldwin at uic.edu.  Feel free to ignore some items.
> Do not reply to the list unless you really have something to say.
> I will summarize the results and perhaps kick of a discussion after I have tallied the results.
> Do you regard the following distinctions as `archaic'  or `specialized'  (i.e. only used by some areas of logic) or `unknown to you'?
> 1) pure versus applied logic
> 2) pure versus applied model theorem
> 3) recursive versus computable
> 4) valid sentence versus valid argument
> 5) Fratur N to name a structure rather Roman N
>
> John Baldwin

Very coincidentally, I think, I just contributed briefly to some
ongoing correspondence at mailing lists associated with the Ohio State
University mathematics community concerning related kinds of questions
for mathematics generally. I attach a copy of this very recent
correspondence. I have kept only my name on this correspondence
because the two other writers might not want this to be more public.