[FOM] V=L

John STEEL coremodel at berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 9 03:10:09 EST 2017

Harvey writes:

 For the mathematicians, that is a big
positive for them [ that V= L precludes large  cardinals] ,
 as such enormous objects are very much out there,
and not having to worry about them is a really good thing. Not having
to think about independence and not having to think about medium/large
large cardinals is an attractive combination.

      This is a pretty cynical view of "mathematicians". Of course,
it's rational to withhold judgment on what you don't understand.
But rational people also realize that their personal understanding of
a theory removed from their own work is not much of a test of its truth.
And they don't hope that it's wrong because they don't work on it.

      I don't understand String Theory, but I don't hope that
it's wrong.

Best,
John