[FOM] Origins of the double turnstile

WILLIAM TAIT williamtait at mac.com
Sat Jan 7 09:25:13 EST 2017

It is indeed listed in the “forward on terminology” in *Theory of Models: Proceedings of the 1963 InternationalSymposium at Berkeley* (1965) and, as Richard suggested, that seems to indicate a prior usage. But I looked (roughly) through the proceedings of the Summer Institute for Symbolic Logic (Cornell. 1957) and couldn’t find that notation. Feferman used the notation \vdash_{M} A to mean the sentence A is true in the structure M. Roger Lyndon (*Notes on Logic* 1967) used A \v= B with sentences A and B to mean that B is true when A is.

Bill