[FOM] Origins of the double turnstile

Richard Heck richard_heck at brown.edu
Fri Jan 6 21:28:44 EST 2017

The book in question is on Google Books here:

    https://books.google.com/books?id=Tb_SBQAAQBAJ

See p. xiv, perhaps, for what Hodges had in mind. This occurs in a
"Foreword on Terminology" in which Addison, Henkin, and Tarski ("the
editors") attempt to establish, or at least encourage, some uniformity
in terminology and symbolism. They explicitly recommend \vDash over
\Vdash and \varVdash, which is similar to \Vdash except that the
horizontal line cuts across both verticals. (This is apparently provided
by stix. See the Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List of the stix docs. This
is apparently also U+2AE6.)

This suggests to me, though of course I'm no expert, that all of these
symbols were already in use by 1965 (when the book was published). Maybe
a look at some of the papers to which the authors in this volume refer
would help untangle the history.

Richard

--
Richard G Heck Jr