[FOM] role of large cardinals

John Kadvany jkadvany at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 22 11:13:29 EDT 2016

  Small to large cardinals do indeed provide such a measure, e.g. Friedman's
proof that aleph_1 power set iterations are required for Borel determinancy,
or Woodin cardinals for projective determinacy, with determinacy in turn
implying many other statements.

  But there are many other such measures of relative strength, including ones
involving only countable sets.

  I'm thinking of: the arithmetical and analytic hierarchies, in which a
just-higher quantifier depth is tied to representing all sets of lower
complexity; the related Kleene jump operation in recursion theory; the myriad
patterns of incomparable relative recursiveness possible through priority
method constructions; complexity hierarchies of Ritchie, Grzegorzyk, etc.; the
use of countable ordinals from epislon_0 onward vis a vis arithmetic
provability; the restricted use of second-order quantification in analysis and
reverse mathematics to sharply isolate relative consistency strength. Where
set definitions are involved, they will typically translate to some
provability condition.

  On 'possibly-consistent', the continuum hypothesis is that; but CH cannot be
determined by large cardinal assumptions alone. I'm unsure that's is what's
meant here by 'strength'.

   John Kadvany