[FOM] Walter van Stigt, 1927-2015

Mark van Atten vanattenmark at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 15:03:39 EDT 2016

Only a few days ago I learned, with great regret, that Walter van
Stigt has died; in November last year, in fact (January 1, 1927 -
November 24, 2015).

Van Stigt was one of the founders of the Brouwer archive, and in 1990
published the monograph Brouwer's Intuitionism (Amsterdam:
North-Holland). Until then, there had been nothing like it, and in
various ways it is still a highly valuable work.

I also mention his substantial contributions to Paolo Mancosu's From
Brouwer to Hilbert (New York: Oxford University Press, 1998).

Mark.