[FOM] Proof-theoretic proof of NP=PSPACE?

Alasdair Urquhart urquhart at cs.toronto.edu
Mon Oct 17 10:35:03 EDT 2016

Formulate minimal (ML) and intuitionistic logic (IL) with a propositional
constant F (falsum), axiom schemes and modus ponens.
Then IL has the extra axiom scheme F -> A for any
formula A.

Let B be any formula of IL, and F(B) the conjunction of all formulas
F -> p, where p is a variable in B.  Then F(B) -> B is provable
in ML if and only if B is provable in IL.  Furthermore,
the proof of B in IL is only a little longer
than the proof of F(B) -> B in ML.

Hence, if there is a polynomial bound on the length of
proofs in ML, there is also a polynomial bound
on the length of proofs in IL, contradicting
the result of Pavel Hrubes.