[FOM] First- Vs Second-Order Logic: Origins of the Distinction?

WILLIAM TAIT williamtait at mac.com
Fri May 20 20:38:22 EDT 2016

I would think that Hilbert's 1917-8 lectures (in the Ewald/ Sieg edition of his lectures on logic and foundations) is the first place in which our distinction between first and higher order logic is made. As opposed to Frege, Richard, Hilbert had the clear model-theoretic conception of logic.

Best, Bill

Sent from my iPad