[FOM] First- Vs Second-Order Logic: Origins of the Distinction?

Alasdair Urquhart urquhart at cs.toronto.edu
Thu May 19 22:59:11 EDT 2016

Greg Moore's article "The Emergence of First-Order Logic" is a good place
to start.  It's in "History and Philosophy of Modern Mathematics" edited
by Aspray and Kitcher.

Moore emphasizes (and I agree with him) that the appearance of Gödel's
incompleteness theorem was a key event in separating first- and second-order logic.