[FOM] First- Vs Second-Order Logic: Origins of the Distinction?

Richard Heck richard_heck at brown.edu
Thu May 19 13:23:36 EDT 2016

Does anyone have a good reference for historical work on the emergence
of the distiction between first- and second-order logic? I'm
particularly interested in how first-order logic came to be seen as
"really logic". Quine was of course famously hostile to second-order
'logic', but I am guessing that there were earlier antecedents, probably
emerging from work in mathematical logic itself.

If anyone is able to sketch that story, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

Richard Heck

PS What I myself know about this concerns only the emergence of Frege's
awareness of the distinction. That part of the story gets told in my
paper "Formal Arithmetic Before /Grundgesetze/", section 3, which can be
found on my website.

--
-----------------------
Richard G Heck Jr

Website:   http://rgheck.frege.org/
Blog:      http://rgheck.blogspot.com/
Amazon:    http://amazon.com/author/richardgheckjr
Google+:   https://plus.google.com/108873188908195388170

Check out my books "Reading Frege's Grundgesetze"
  http://tinyurl.com/ReadingFregesGrundgesetze
and "Frege's Theorem":
  http://tinyurl.com/FregesTheorem
or my Amazon author page: