[FOM] the amazing language of set theory

Charlie silver_1 at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 28 21:30:33 EDT 2016

	   For foundational studies, why not use (a sort of)  “function theory” instead of set theory (different from Von Neumann’s f’n theory  modified by Bernays,…)  There are different ways to look at f’n theory.  I’m proposing that the ordered pair <x,y> be the primitive sentence, saying y is a function of x.  Intuitively, let’s say  of two books on your bookshelf that one (x) is left of the other (y).

	  There are many advantages (it seems to me).  One would be that functions are dynamic, whereas sets are static, thus applying instantly to computer programs  as well as math.  I’ll stop here and wait for replies, assuming my suggestion is not so simplistic as 1) to not even pass muster with the governors of FOM, and 2) to be completely ignored by the many ZF(C) advocates reading this (that is, assuming  (1) doesn’t hold and it is “published” on FOM).

Charlie Silver
P.S.  Before telling me sets and f'ns are interchangeable, I know that in a sense they are. (And {it seems to me that } f’n theory does not necessarily lead to a variant of NBG set theory.) (Why isn’t there an ‘R’ in the middle of NBG for Rafael Robinson?)