[FOM] Fuzziness

Patrik Eklund peklund at cs.umu.se
Sun Jun 26 07:23:39 EDT 2016

You should note that Hajek and his followers treat many-valuedness in
logic only from the viewpoint of algebras of truth values. Signatures
and terms are traditionally bivalent. This is basically the Czech school
of fuzzy logic.

Ever since the 1980's, fuzzy logic has had a branch drawing heavily upon
category theory. This is still in continuation. Later on there are
several contributions also in direction of considering multivalence in
signatures and terms (fuzzy terms). In this approach, term constructions
are monadic, and clearly separates terms from sentences, the latter
being constructed by functors not extendable to monads (otherwise
sentences are terms as well).

As far as foundations and multivalence is concerned, type theory and
category theory should not be neglected. Type constructors are usually
not seen as 'operators', but if we do see them as operators, we arrive
at extended views of signatures, where the semantics of such type
constructors as operators are closer to functors than to functions.
Clearly, if syntax is treated categorically, semantics cannot be just
about sets and functions.

Best,

Patrik