[FOM] Fuzziness

Kreinovich, Vladik vladik at utep.edu
Thu Jun 23 23:48:49 EDT 2016

There are several aspects of fuzzy logic research:

* there is pragmatic fuzzy logic, motivated by applications, this is probably the farthest away from FOM

* there is mathematical research of fuzzy logic structures, this is often very much related to FOM, since it extended the usual logical results to different multi-valued logics

* there is also a general philosophical idea that, in the words of Zadeh, "everything is a matter of degree"; many concepts of logic and FOM are attempts to formalize semi-intuitive ideas; these ideas are rarely black-and-white, often, we can perceive different degrees: e.g., in physics, there is a causality relation, but in reality, some events A can barely influence events  while others are strongly influencing;

similarly, in logic, traditional implication includes both cases when a mathematician would agree that a theorem A indeed follows from theorem B and the general pairs caused by the fact that every two statements imply each other

In such situations, fuzzy is a heuristic idea that motivates us to replace the original black-and-white formalization with a more degreed one. For example, if we fix an inference system, then we can say that A truly implies B if the shortest proof of B from the axioms is longer than the shortest proof in which we add A as one of the axioms, and the difference between the two shortest lengths can be viewed as a degree to which A implies B