[FOM] Talk on Formal Verification

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 31 16:04:24 EST 2016

Mario Carneiro wrote:

> The problem here is that "reasonable time" is defined on a human scale,
> so probably in the order of seconds to minutes, but this applies
> separately to each proof program that is written, so a large composite
> proof like Flyspeck, involving tens of thousands of these "reasonable
> times" adds up to something quite unreasonable. If a little extra in the
> way of search hints was stored, this could doubtless be cut down
> considerably. There is a tradeoff between storage space and verification
> time here, but I think it is clear which resource is in shorter supply
> right now.

This is a great point.  To me it indicates that the old-fashioned mindset
that "verification is trivial" is already biting us, and that we need to
rethink it.

One other comment I have, which I mentioned when I brought up checkers
before on FOM, is that proofs that involve analyzing games tend to be much
less amenable to the kind of time-space tradeoff that Mario mentions.  We
can think of this as the difference between the classes NP and PSPACE.
Now, the theorem that checkers is a draw is not very interesting from the
point of view of mainstream mathematics, but I can easily imagine someone
one day coming up with a proof that requires the detailed analysis of a
large game (an Ehrenfeucht-Fraisse game perhaps?) and that there's just no
way to cut down the exponential exploration of the game tree to a
polynomial computation.

Tim