[FOM] Talk on Formal Verification

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jan 30 17:28:57 EST 2016

Ben Sherman wrote:

> I doubt that the verification of any "good" proof of a "major theorem"
> should require excessive computation (not including dependencies).

Isn't Flyspeck an obvious example?

The q-TSPP theorem is another one.  It just won the AMS Robbins Prize so
there is no doubt that it's a major theorem.  The amount of computation is
not all that large but the certificates occupy about a gigabyte of disk
space, and currently you need Mathematica to perform the verification.

Again, I agree that currently such proofs are not the norm.  But that's
because we human beings are still novices at using computers to do math.
I think it won't be long before the theorems that currently make people go
"gee whiz that was a big computation---better add it to the Wikipedia
list" will be so commonplace that we will smile at people who are
surprised by them.

Tim