[FOM] Counterfactuals in relative computability theory

Kreinovich, Vladik vladik at utep.edu
Fri Aug 12 17:01:03 EDT 2016

Church-Turing thesis states that anything that can be computed on any physical device is recursive. While in modern physics, we have not yet found any physical process that can lead to computing a non-recursive function, one can imagine such processes -- and several papers have some hypothetical proposals of such processes. For example, if we allow infinite time and perfectly working time machine, we can compute non-recursive functions, e.g., we can check whether a Turing machine will halt or not -- by setting a time machine that will send a signal back if it halts.

I am not arguing that CTT is false now, with modern physics, but in principle, since physics changes, who knows, it may turns out to be false.