[FOM] The unreasonable soundness of mathematics

Mario Carneiro di.gama at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 23:35:14 EDT 2016

I would abbreviate your two interpretations as "P(n) is true for all
reasonable n" vs "(all n, P(n)) is provable".  In order to relate these
two, take some reasonable n, say 42. Then we arrive on the one hand that
P(42) is true (as some explicitly checkable numeric assertion), according
to computer A, and on the other hand we have that |- P(42) is provable
according to computer B (by universal instantiation).

Now let's suppose that the correspondence fails somehow, so that computer B
has proven |- P(42) but computer A has found that P(42) is false. Assuming
that the theory used by computer B is sufficiently powerful, it will be
able to formalize the abstract machine states of computer A, and thereby
will also prove |- not P(42), and hence the theory is inconsistent (and the
proof of this is reasonably sized too). Thus the correspondence reduces to
a consistency problem for the theory of computer B.

Now I suppose the part you want to home in on is the formalization of
computer A's operation by computer B. The reason this is possible is
because computer A satisfies an abstract model *because it was designed
that way*. Computer A is not some mysterious physical system whose behavior
is the object of study, but is instead a deliberately designed instrument
whose fitness is measured by its adherence at a high level to a given
abstract model. Although it's not a true Turing Machine because it doesn't
have infinite resources, it is good enough to match the abstract model for
"reasonable" computations, so that we can effectively capture this behavior
that we specified for computer A, in computer B, by formalizing not the
circuits and transistors, but the specification.

Note that it doesn't matter how complicated the original proof of |- P(42)
was or what axioms were used, since all of the above pertains to the proof
of |- not P(42) by simulation of computer A, using "finite reasoning"
(meaning an abstraction of a finite system, which corresponds for
sufficiently small proofs). If the correspondence between computer A and
computer B fails, then the theory is inconsistent. Since consistency is
already considered an important determinant for fitness of a axiom system,
it wouldn't seem to produce any new desiderata.

Now, of course it is also possible for the correspondence to fail in the
other direction, that is, computer A is failing to find any counterexample,
but computer B is not finding any proof of |- all n, P(n) (or perhaps even
proven |- exists n, not P(n)). In this case, I don't think anyone would be
surprised, and the gloss "P(n) is true for all reasonable n" even indicates
how this can happen - just take P(n) to be false at some unreasonable n. It
is not hard to come up with examples of such P(n), like "P(n) = n <
2^2^2^2^2^2^2^2". This corresponds to your observation: "empirical
observation alone can lead only to a "conjecture" and not a "theorem.""

Mario