[FOM] The unreasonable soundness of mathematics

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Sat Apr 30 16:17:56 EDT 2016

Mulling over the recent FOM discussion I had with Mario Carneiro, I came
up with an insight that I am going to call the "unreasonable soundness of
mathematics", for reasons that should become clear.  I will start by
posing a puzzle for ultrafinitists, but I will go on to pose a more
general puzzle.

Let us start by picking some Pi_1 statement, such as "PA is consistent" or
Fermat's Last Theorem (FLT).  What does such an assertion mean to an
ultrafinitist?  As I understand it, there are two entirely different ways
that an ultrafinitist might interpret such a statement.

Under the first interpretation, "PA is consistent" means something along
the lines of, "When we program a computer in a certain way and set it
running, we have never observed it to output `0=1', and furthermore nobody
in the future will ever observe a similarly programmed computer to output
`0=1', no matter how big a computer they build and no matter how patiently
they wait."  Let's use the term "Computer A" to refer generically to
computers that perform this kind of search for a counterexample to a Pi_1
statement.

Under the second interpretation, "PA is consistent" is judged to be an
infinitary mathematical statement which therefore has no "direct" meaning;
instead, we make the sociological observation that mathematicians accept
infinitary statements when and only when they are in possession of a
*proof*.  Therefore when someone asserts "PA is consistent," they really
mean something along the lines of, "It is an accepted fact in the
mathematical community that if you take your favorite proof assistant and
give it the appropriate input, then it will verify that there is a correct
proof of Con(PA) in one of the generally accepted axiomatic systems for
the foundations of mathematics."  Let's use the term "Computer B" to refer
generically to computers that are equipped with proof assistants and that
are dedicated to verifying formal proofs.

Which interpretation is favored might depend on who you ask, and in what
context.  It might also depend on the Pi_1 statement in question.  For "PA
is consistent" I suspect that most ultrafinitists will gravitate towards
the first interpretation.  For FLT, I suspect that more ultrafinitists
will gravitate towards the second interpretation, because they will
hesitate to attribute direct semantic content to assertions about the
integers.  It does not matter for what I say below which interpretation
you prefer for which statements; the only important thing to note is that
for Pi_1 statements, two entirely different readings are possible.

Now for the puzzle.  Most working mathematicians believe that there is a
very close relationship between the activity of Computer A and the
activity of Computer B.  For example, in the case of FLT, they believe
that the proof of FLT *explains* why Computer A is failing to find a
solution to the Fermat equation.  When they study the proof of FLT, their
internal mental state gradually changes until they reach a point when they
say they "understand" the proof, and at that point they arrive at a
conviction that Computer A is doomed never to find a solution.  Note that
this conviction is of a type that can never be achieved solely through
empirical observation of Computer A---empirical observation alone can lead
only to a "conjecture" and not a "theorem."  Computer B plays the role of
verifying that the alleged proof satisfies certain conditions---or as we
more commonly say, that the proof is "correct"---and hence its behavior
contributes vitally to the *explanation* of the behavior of Computer A.

I claim that for the ultrafinitist, this behavior of working
mathematicians is very puzzling.  Over time, the ultrafinitist can observe
that the mathematical community is very good at predicting the results of
certain computations, and that if asked for the source of their success,
they reply by pointing to proofs.  For the ultrafinitist, however, *proofs
have no semantic content*.  They do not make any assertions "about"
anything.  Taken at face value, they appear to make assertions about
integers and equations and elliptic curves and modular forms, but for the
ultrafinitist such things do not "exist."  In particular, terms in a
formal language do not refer to integrated circuits and flash drives and
flatscreen monitors and the rest of the physical components of a computer.
I claim that it is therefore totally mysterious why the activity of
Computer B should have *anything at all to do* with explaining the
behavior of Computer A.  This mystery I refer to as "the unreasonable
soundness of mathematics."

The working mathematician is accustomed to *abstracting* the behavior of
the physical computer and *reasoning* about the abstract objects, but the
process of abstraction, or at least the resulting abstract object, is
precisely what the ultrafinitist is skeptical about.  Indeed, we may
recall Voevodsky's famous (or infamous?) talk, in which he seemed to
suggest that perfectly correct proofs of "PA is consistent" in standard
foundational systems give us no reason to believe that PA is consistent.
I interpret Voevodsky to be arguing that in the case of "PA is
consistent," the behavior of Computer B tells us nothing about the
behavior of Computer A.  The only thing I would add is that there appears
to be nothing special about "PA is consistent" in this regard.  It seems
to me that if we share Voevodsky's skepticism, then we should also be
skeptical that (for example) the standard proof that sqrt(2) is irrational
tells us anything at all about what to expect if we program Computer A to
search for positive integers X and Y such that X^2 = 2*Y^2.  In other
words, it seems to me that the skeptical argument runs much deeper than
any skepticism about specific axioms.

---

That concludes the first part of my discussion.  I would now like to
suggest that the above viewpoint suggests a possible avenue for convincing
the ultrafinitist to regard certain abstract mathematics as being real.

It seems to me that much of the skepticism about the existence of abstract
infinitary objects has its roots in physical intuition.  That is, it is
tacitly assumed that the acquisition of knowledge about physical objects
through sense perception is a well-understood phenomenon.  After all, I
have never heard anyone go on and on about the "unreasonable effectiveness
of vision in providing knowledge about the physical universe"; it is not
regarded as puzzling, and in need of further explanation, how human beings
can possibly acquire knowledge of physical objects---or at least, it is
regarded as much *less* puzzling than how we could possibly acquire
knowledge of an abstract object such as an elliptic curve.  But if physics
is regarded as a gold standard of some kind, then we can argue that
knowledge of abstract objects is in fact entirely analogous to knowledge
of physical entities that are not directly perceptible.  An "electron" in
quantum field theory is not something that is directly accessible to our
senses.  Rather, it is an *abstract* theoretical entity that is posited in
order to explain the results of experiments, and it cannot even be
correctly conceptualized in commonsense terms such as "particle" or
"wave."  Similarly, elliptic curves are theoretical objects that are
posited to explain the results of computer searches, and so we should not
balk at accepting their reality any more than we should balk at accepting
the reality of electrons.

---

Finally, let me address a potential objection.  In the past, I have
complained that discussions about the "unreasonable effectiveness of
mathematics in physics" rarely take the trouble to articulate what
*reasonable* effectiveness would look like.  If we cannot give a clear
account of how much effectiveness we can "reasonably" expect, then how can
we be sure that the amount of effectiveness that we actually observe is
really "unreasonable"?  Perhaps this is just another manifestation of the
all-too-human tendency to see amazing patterns in randomness.  Similarly,
someone might object that if one considers the connection between
Computers A and B to be puzzling, then what on earth is *not* puzzling?
Surely the proof that sqrt(2) is irrational is more of a gold standard for
explanation than quantum field theory is, given that the latter is still
riddled with mathematical gaps.

to Harvey Friedman's Pi_1 propositions that imply the 1-consistency of
some large cardinal axiom and that are themselves implied by a slightly
larger cardinal axiom.  Specifically, I ask, do the formal proofs of these
propositions allow us to predict the behavior of the relevant Computer A
with unshakable confidence?  I think that many people would balk here.
But if you balk at large cardinal axioms, then what is your account of the
relationship between Computer B and Computer A?  Are the proofs of
Computer B doing more than just "explaining" the physical behavior of
Computer A in the sense that physical theories "explain" physical
phenomena?  If so, then in what sense are they doing more, and how do we
pick which axioms to accept?  There seems to be some kind of puzzle here
even for those who lack sympathy for the ultrafinitist position (though
perhaps this is nothing than the usual puzzle of which axioms for
mathematics to accept).

Tim