[FOM] Second-order logic and neo-logicism

Ran Lanzet lanzetr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 02:40:27 EDT 2015

Thank you, Panu!
Rossberg and Wright's point is (if I'm looking at the right quotes, and reading them correctly) that set theory, being the powerful mathematical theory that it is, should not be assumed in the neo-logicist project, and that consequently (since SOL is assumed by neo-logicism) if
	1. 	SOL is in fact set theory,
then this would be a serious problem for neo-logicism.
You explain that
	2. 	substantial set theoretical principles are derivable from SOL.
But does (2) entail (1)? Does the neo-logicist have to consider (2) problematic for her project if she considers (1) problematic?
The neo-logicist would surely say that PA2 should not be assumed in her project (as this would be question begging). Yet she does not consider the fact that
	3.	PA2 is "derivable from" (can be interpreted in) SOL+HP
problematic. In particular, she does not consider (3) to entail that SOL+HP is a mathematical (rather than logical) theory. So I ask:
(i) Why should the neo-logicist be bothered by (2) anymore than she is bothered by (3)?
(ii) If (3) is a problem for the neo-logicist to the same extent that (2) is, then can't you simplify your argument by relying on (3) instead of on (2)? If not, why?
Best,
Ran