[FOM] "Proof" of the consistency of PA published by Oxford UP

Michael Kremer kremer at uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 5 07:56:29 EST 2015

The following is related to Richard's points...

On a quick skim I find the final section of the paper confused. He wants to ward off the claim that his argument requires an infinite set. He does this by claiming that his argument does not require an infinite model; and that he does not have an unrestricted comprehension scheme which would allow one to construct the set of all models. But his argument requires that there is no upper bound on the size of his models. Whether this requires an infinite set or not, it surely requires in some sense that there are infinitely many blocks. (There is no finite bound on the number of blocks.)

Moreover, the argument makes use of an operation of concatenation which yield larger arrays of blocks out of smaller arrays of blocks. And this operation needs to satisfy some set of axioms with sufficient similarities to the axioms of arithmetic to make one suspicious that the theory of concatenation is at least as strong as arithmetic. If there are only finitely many blocks in the universe we would be in a position in which the concatenation operation could not always be applied. (If there are 1000 blocks in the universe, we could make an array of 600 blocks, and an array of 601 blocks but we could not concatenate them as they would always have overlap.)

Put it another way: Russell and Whitehead's Axiom of Infinity in Principia Mathematics would seem to be satisfied by McCall's blocks (iirc, it does not state that there is an infinite set; it states that for every inductive cardinal number n, there are n things).

Michael Kremer