[FOM] "Proof" of the consistency of PA published by Oxford UP

Charlie silver_1 at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 4 15:34:03 EST 2015

	Consider the axioms of Peano Arithmetic minus the induction schema, plus Robinson’s axiom, which says that if x differs from 0, then it’s a successor.  Every one of these axioms is “obviously true” for the natural numbers.   One might say — I’m *not* saying this —  that since every single axiom is obviously true of the natural numbers, plus since they do not *seem* to interfere with each other, the entire system (Q) *must be* consistent.   If we wished to dignify this reasoning by calling it a real proof, we could say it’s a proof of the consistency of Q “by intuitive inspection”.