[FOM] Rogers's generalized machines

Stephen G. Simpson sgslogic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 15:33:29 EDT 2015

Dear Bob,

Your result with Nate and Cameron, and the results mentioned by Rogers on
pages 406-407, are somewhat similar to a result in one of Kleene's papers
on recursion in higher types.  The result is as follows: A subset of $N$ is
hyperarithmetical if and only if it is recursive relative to $E$ where
$E:N^N\to N$ (pardon my LaTeX notation) is the type 2 functional given by
$E(f)=1$ if $\exists n\,(f(n)=1)$, otherwise $E(f)=0$, for all $f\in N^N$.
Alternatively, we can take $E$ to be the Turing jump operator.

By the way, Kleene's notation for $E$ is either $E_2$ or $E^2$ or $_2E$ or
$^2E$, but I forget which!

A good reference for this is the book "Higher Recursion Theory" by Gerald
E. Sacks.  My copy of Sacks's book isn't handy right now, but later this
week I will be able to give you a more precise reference.

-- Steve

Name: Stephen G. Simpson
Email: simpson at math.psu.edu
Affiliation: Pennsylvania State University
Research area: foundations of mathematics