[FOM] Rogers's generalized machines

Oosten, J. van j.vanoosten at uu.nl
Tue Jun 2 06:14:19 EDT 2015

Dear Bob,

this is related to a recent paper of mine and Eric Faber, "Effective
Operations of Type 2 in PCAs",
to appear in Computability (first version available on ArXiv:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1408.4984v1 ).

We show that for every PCA A and for every functional F: A^A-->A, there
is a universal solution to
the problem of constructing another PCA structure on A for which F is an
effective operation. We show
that if we apply this construction to the PCA of indices of partial
recursive functions (also called "K_1")
for the functional F which decides for f:N-->N whether or not f takes
the value 0 somewhere, we
get a pca for which the total representable functions are exactly the
hyperarithmetical ones.