[FOM] The LIar

Parsons, Charles parsons2 at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 21 10:22:44 EDT 2015

What I wrote yesterday contained a small slip. I wrote that Epimenides' statement "All Cretans are liars" was interpreted to mean "Every other statement made by a Cretan is false." But that is not paradoxical unless some other statement (not Epimenides' famous statement) is paradoxical. What I meant was "Every statement made by a Cretan is false," which of course includes Epimenides' statement.

My apologies,
Charles Parsons

P.S. Although my remarks elicited a response from Nik Weaver, I'm not certain that they were actually posted. If the editors rejected it for some reason, there would be no point in posting this.