[FOM] The liar "revenge"?

Nik Weaver nweaver at math.wustl.edu
Mon Jul 20 22:28:39 EDT 2015

Dennis Hamilton wrote

> I would think an appropriate view is that a meaningless sentence,
> whatever its form, is not in fact a proposition.  Hence there is no need
> to agree on any truth-value interpretation whatsoever.

I think the more usual way to say this is that a meaningless sentence
does not *express* a proposition --- the idea being that sentences are
syntactic objects, but "propositions" are some sort of more abstract
thing (whose very existence is controversial).

But in any case, if you believe in propositions, this kind of response
invites the sentence

"This sentence fails to express a true proposition."

On the face of it, one would think that any meaningless sentence must
fail to express a true proposition.  But if you also affirm that the
above sentence is meaningless, this leads to a new contradiction.

Nik